Saturday 25 June 2011

Dilwara Begum: The Treasure Hunt


Spencer Finch: ‘The Colour of Water’ 

Straight after breakfast I set off to see the Folkestone Triennial artists work. I use the map to guide me, and there just around the corner from our hotel are the Spencer Finch flags from ‘The Colour of Water’ gently floating in the breeze.  Yesterday artist Pauline Bailey and I went looking for his colour-wheel on the sea front. Without the map we’d gone in the wrong direction. We sat on the beach and imagined what the colour-wheel might look like and we did our own colour and tone selecting by interacting with Spencer Finch’s work using our minds eye. I often find myself lost in thought whilst I observe the changing sky from my office window in Birmingham. Now whilst at Folkestone I have the pleasure of sitting by the sea where the land, water and the sky becomes one. 

                                 









‘The Colour of Water’ (c) Spencer Finch





Ruth Ewan: ‘We could Have Been Anything That We Wanted To Be’

Although easy to miss I found 5 of 10 clocks by Ruth Ewan. The whole concept of time and calendars are fascinating, from Julian, Gregorian or Hijri (Hegirian) calendars. It is interesting to learn about the French Republican Calendar, even if it’s no longer in use. During my travels through parts of North West India in 2009, I went to the Clock Museum in Rajasthan, where there were lunar and solar clocks from bygone times. Ruth Ewan’s work reminds me of how people of various cultures, faiths and past times may have used different calendars. Even today the lunar calendar (Hijri or Hegirian) is used in Islam. That is more apparent in my life during the month of Ramadan and the celebration of Eid, as each occasion is marked by the sighting of a new moon.

 





Ruth Ewan’s ‘We could Have Been Anything That We Wanted To Be’


No comments:

Post a Comment